SAMSA (South African Maritime Safety Authority) Bursary South Africa 2019 – 2019
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SAMSA
The South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) was founded in 1998 and is a government agency within the country. SAMSA has 3 main objectives, namely: to promote the maritime interests of South Africa; to ensure the safety of property and life at sea; and to reduce and prevent ship pollution to the marine environment.
The Authority is headquartered in Pretoria and have their Maritime Rescue Co-ordination and Response Centre based in Cape Town. They also have offices in Durban, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town, Richards Bay, Mossel Bay, East London and on the Port of Ngqura.
SAMSA’s services include: Fishing Service; Shipping Safety; Small vessel safety; Sea Watch and Response; Seafarer Service; Naval Architecture; Ship Registry; Audit and Accreditation; EPIRB Registration.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
Each year, SAMSA awards a limited amount of bursary awards to deserving students (at secondary and tertiary level), who wish to pursue their studies within the following Maritime related fields:
- Grade 10
- Grade 11
- Grade 12
- Maritime Economics and Globalization
- International Business and Logistics
- Maritime Studies (Engineering) (National Diploma)
- Maritime Studies (Navigation) (National Diploma)
- Nautical Studies (National Diploma)
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Studying within one of the aforementioned secondary and tertiary level fields of study
- Good academic record, with excellent results for Science and Mathematics
- Achieved a minimum average of 65% for current studies
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete SAMSA Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document OR birth certificate (certified copy of)
- Matric certificate/ recent academic results (certified copy of)
- Parent/ guardians ID documents (certified copies of)
- Parent/ guardians proof of income (latest payslip if employed/ affidavit if unemployed)
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to: Bursaries@samsa.org.za
(Insert the words “SAMSA Bursary Application – Your Full Name” in the email subject line).
None – submission of applications are open all year round and students are welcome to apply at any time.
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact SAMSA directly:
The South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA)
Tel: 012 366 2600
Fax: 012 366 2601